Friday, August 15, 2008

The Grizz-ind: In Praise of Rap CDs Purchased on the Street

"All of my favorite rap albums are CDs I bought on the street," says Davy Rothbart in a hymn to "the rap world's Daniel Johnstons" that ran in The Believer's 2008 Music Issue (with the above title). "I mean, I like some commercial rap, I like some underground hip-hop, but the shit I really get down with is downright subterranean. I love the murky production values; I find it exquisite when someone rhymes a word with the same word. But it’s not the campiness that captivates me, it’s the urgent sincerity, the flares of emotion, the specificities of small but stinging daily struggles. Inside the odd, sparse beats and untreated vocals, I can imagine the scene where the music was recorded: three teenagers in a makeshift basement studio, joined, perhaps, by a couple of younger siblings—one looking on watchfully, the other tugging at pant legs, demanding a turn with the mic. I don’t want my rappers driving Escalades; I want them begging rides from their friends, or driving the same beat-up piece of shit as me."

No comments: